It’s Cinco de Mayo, which means it’s time for celebrating, seeing friends, and snacking! Now we know that it’s not exactly the healthiest of holidays, so we’ve put together three of our favorite, healthiest recipes for you to enjoy. They’re also super easy to make and will have you feeling full and festive in no time at all!
To Start: Guacamole!
What is a Cinco de Mayo celebration without a delicious, wholesome heap of guacamole to dip your favorite brand of corn chips into? This recipe is quick, easy, and needs only four ingredients!
- 3 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pips.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocados out into a big mixing bowl.
- Mash them with a fork, then add the lime juice, red onion, and salt to taste.
- Mix it all together and serve next to a bowl of your favorite corn chips.
Feel free to spice things up and add some finely chopped tomatoes, chilies, and cilantro too!
To Fill You Up: Fish Taco Lettuce Wraps With Mango Salsa
This healthier take on the traditional taco is refreshing and flavorful!
- 1 large head of Butter Lettuce
- 1 lb salmon filet
- 2 teaspoons of avocado oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 lb mango, peeled and diced
- ½ small, finely chopped red onion
- Cilantro to taste
- Juice of three limes
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup canned coconut milk.
- Mix the mango, red onion, cilantro, sea salt, the juice of two limes, and the jalapeno together. Then, leave them to marinate.
- Put the avocado, coconut milk, and sea salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour it out of the blender and put it in a serving bowl.
- Preheat your grill or pan on high heat. Drizzle the avocado oil onto the salmon, making sure to add adequate oil to the skin under the salmon so that it doesn’t stick to the pan, and then season the fish generously with sea salt.
- Place the salmon in the pan, and then immediately turn the heat down to medium. Cook the salmon for eight to 12 minutes, until it’s just barely done and starting to flake, but with a bit of translucent pink in the middle.
- As the salmon cooks pull the lettuce apart into individual leaves.
- Once the salmon is done, scoop it into the lettuce leaves, and then add a dollop of mango salsa and avocado coconut cream on top.
To Drink: Strawberry Margarita Mocktail
Clink, clink! Let’s have a toast to Cinco de Mayo with this delightful strawberry mocktail.
- 1 lb strawberries
- ½ cup of sparkling water
- ½ cup of orange juice
- Juice of 4 limes
- Coarse, colored sugar
- Lime slices for garnish.
- Blend the strawberries, sparkling water, orange juice, and lime juice together on medium-high until it reaches the same consistency as a slushy. Feel free to add more ice as necessary.
- Take a wheel of lime and cut a small slit in it, then wipe it around the rim of the serving glass.
- Pour the sugar onto a plate or board and roll each glass in it so that the sugar collects on the rim.
- Pour the strawberry margarita into the glass, garnish it with a lime wheel, and there you have it – a delicious, refreshing, Instagram-worthy Cinco de Mayo drink!
GOFA can help you stay feeling great this Cinco de Mayo with an AI-powered workout or guided run. Download Now!